10/30/12

what i wore: closet challenge

shirt: thrifted // sweater: old navy // belt: my mom's // jeans: gap // shoes: wanted booties (last year)


This sweater, for whatever reason, is one of those things you have hanging in your closet. It's 3/4 sleeve, which is awkward, it's a loose-weave knit, which would you think meant summer wear but the green color screams fall and for whatever reason, I rarely, if ever, wear it.


But it's a perfectly good sweater and inspired by Jen's Closet Challenge, I decided it needed to get some use.

I read Jen's post about her challenge to wear everything in her closet last week. (As she lives in Arizona, it's a little bit more feasible, while there are some things I legitimately can't wear right now.)


But her whole point was that many of us have items in our closet that we bought, only to rarely wear. Like I posted Monday, I'm trying to be more conscious about what I buy and that means being more conscious about what is in my closet.

And speaking of Monday's post-- the biggest challenge is issued to me. By posting it, I'm holding myself accountable to my decision to try to be better about what I buy and why I buy it. It doesn't mean that you won't ever see an item from Target on here again... it just means, that I don't want to be buying things just because it's cheap.

I'll get off my soapbox now. But it's kind of freeing to say what you think and I'm grateful for the opportunity to do so.

So back to where I started... are there things in your closet that you never wear? Why not? There's something else staring at me right now-- a dress I haven't worn in years but I don't want to throw it out. I decided it's getting some action next week.

xo, erika

linking up to the pleated poppy


10 comments

  1. Nice! I just checked out Jen's Closet Challenge and am also feeling inspired by it! I tend to fall into patterns and wear the same 10 articles of clothing over and over. Time to branch out (because goodness knows I have WAY more than 10 articles of clothing!). Loving the sweater, Erika! You totally made it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving Jen's Closet Challenge and I pulled out a skirt and top this morning I hadn't worn since last spring and added tights to make it look more fall-ish (I hope)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went through my closet and got rid of a bunch of stuff that I never wear. Stuff that doesn't fit or I just no longer like or is somehow awkward. I figured since we just ran out of hangers that I need to figure things out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite outfits to date Erika! Love the long sleeves under the sweater. And your post the other day got me thinking too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sweater looks great on you! :) I wonder what's in store for me in my closet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I immediately thought of some of the crap I've had stuffed in my closet unworn for the past year. Hmmm, that's a tough challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great challenge! and i am horrible about my closet. i have tons of clothes with tags on them, not good! i think i impulse buy too much and dont really carefully think about the different outfits i can put together with each piece. i need to be better about that!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute outfit! I like the long sleeve layered under the sweater. I love this concept of shopping your closet and wearing things we normally pass over. I am going to have to check out the post you linked to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that sweater! I would have paired with with a knee length skirt and belted it at the waist! 3/4 length is hard to figure out when it gets chilly, but is way too much fabric in the summer! Tricky, tricky :)

    Britt
    Secondhand Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you paired the top and sweater!! super cute :):)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs