3/13/12

I wash my face with oil

I wash my face with oil.
Yes. Oil.

And I'm writing about it because I had a few people ask me about while I was at creative estates so I thought I'd share my two cents about it.

Let me start off by saying Neutrogena taught me wrong. In their commercials they talk about that deep "tingly" cleaning feeling in your face. From what I understand-- that's not entirely healthy. You don't want your face to tingle because that means it's too dry, which will then cause it to produce more oil. Which, in turn, can create bacteria, which clogs pores. (Also Neutrogena-- no one splashes their face with water like that. Completely unrealistic.)

It's not as if my face was horrible, but I've never been completley happy with it. I have little bumpies, a greasy forehead, dry patches and of course, the occasional undergrounder-big momma-throbbing zit. I've tried St. Ives, Cetaphil, Proactiv, you name it.

And then I read this site about washing with oil. And I tried it.

First time-- pretty weird. It felt like I was going against everything I knew. Oil on my face? Uhhhh.... but I have to say I'm pretty happy with the results. No, my face isn't perfect, but yes it is better when I wash with oil. Not too dry, not too oily and less little bumps. (Although I did have a big momma-type zit last week.)

The process: You can read more about it here, but basically a combination of castor oil deep cleans and the almond oil (you can also use olive oil or cocounut oil) moisturizes.  If you have combination skin, use equal parts castor oil and moisturizing oil -- if you have oily/acne-prone skin, use less moisturizing oil. Dry skin, use more.

After massaging into your skin, you wet a washcloth with hot, hot water and place it over your face to steam your pores. You may have to do this twice. You aren't supposed to rub-- just let it steam. Yes, it takes longer to do-- but it's a relaxing process and I've come to kind of enjoy it.

Plus the results -- not too bad.

My final tip: get high quality oils! You hardly need any oil each time-- like a pea-sized amount-- so splurge a bit. The oil will last you awhile. Also, it may take awhile for your skin to adjust. It may not be perfect overnight.


And finally-- I'm not an esthestician, a dermatologist or even a certified professonal in anything other than sleeping more than 9 hours a night. And no one paid me to write this. I'm just happy with washing with oil. :)

Any questions? Let me know!

xo, erika

p.s. not to bombard you with links... but I'm sharing over on Mr. Taylor and his Lady in a little q & a and  am guest posting on SewCaroline with a fun tutorial!

22 comments

  1. me too! i love using this combo and was just telling some of the girls about it this weekend! thanks for sharing the details :) i'll pass it along to those who were asking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I never heard this! and I would never have thought of it either! I have combination skin and RELY on face-masks and oil of olay to clean my face.... but I am all for some change! hmmmm.... will have to give this one a try! thank you :)

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just recently heard about this method, and i definitely want to try it! i spent a lot of money on a clarisonic, but it was too rough for my face...maybe this is my ticket to good skin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I think I'd be too scared to try this! I've heard about it though, and it's not like my facewash is doing much for me anyways. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've still been meaning to try this... my skin is just ridiculous. I'm sorry but still breaking out at 28? Unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the title of this post caught my eye and this sounds really interesting! what kind of oils do you use? (brands and such) i might just have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad I am not the only one who felt like it was ridiculous how the Nutrogena girls cleaned their faces! Like really??? And every time I use a face wash my face is worse than before...though I'll admit I'm sure lucky and can wash with warm water and moisturize with good, clean lotion and my face stays soft and generally zip free. But enough on that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHOA. this is a new revelation. i just wash my face with Clean & Clear and MUCH less finesse than the Nutrogena girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an interesting idea...I had no idea that oil washing could be good for your face! I use a milder, allergy tested cleanser by Biore so that it doesn't dry out my skin...but with MN winters, I could use some extra moisture!

    <3 cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i dont wash my face with oil (i use a naturally scrub type thing) BUT.. i ONLY moisturize with virgin unrefined coconut oil... and i SWEAR by it... i have been faithfully doing this since November, and my skin has never looked better! i no longer get pimples when it's period time (TMI? oh well...) and my skin just glows and looks alive... those are things my friends have told me, anyway.. so yes, oil on your face is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. never heard of this! interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting!! I'm almost too scared to try it, but sounds like it works wonders! hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does sounds kinda anti-normal to what we usually do, but I kinda want to try it...I do not have good skin. Even when I don't have any major, unsightly breakouts, I still have little tiny patches of pimples; awful! Maybe I'll have to get some oils. I'm curious about which brands you use/what stores you can find them at, too!

    P.S. Glad you like your bloom pin! I'm hoping all the girls did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Erika! I found your page via 5ohWifey and headed over to check your blog out! I am excited to be following your blog now. I blog over at Blessed to be a Blessing about sewing, crocheting, cooking, life, and my daily walk with Jesus. Oh...and although this sounds weird, i think I may have to try it. =) The steaming part sound really nice!
    Alesha <3
    http://www.tobless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, one of my best friends just started doing this!! I think you both have convinced me to give it a try. Love your blog, new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is interesting, I use coconut oil as a treatment for my hair once a week or so and it works wonders. I have often wonder if my face would flourish or fail with the same treatment. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I've never heard of this! Definitely going to try it sometime though. I have sensitive skin, and I LOVE Aveno products - they leave my face soooo soft. My favorite is the Skin Brightening Daily Scrub - seriously the best thing I've ever used. Anyways. thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Erika, I am so glad you posted this! I have been trying to figure out a way to moisturize and cleanse my skin without irritating it for SO long! And I love that it's all natural! I am definitely going to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I gave up the harsh and chemical laden products you referred to a long time ago, too. My skin has definitely never felt or looked better. I actually only wash my face 2-3 times a week with aubrey's cleanser for normal to dry skin. I really like this oil cleansing concept a lot though! Thank you so much for sharing it. I'm excited to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Erika,

    thank you very much for sharing this! I will try it out... Have a lovely day! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Erika,

    thank you very much for sharing this! I will try it out... Have a lovely day! Linda

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs