3/15/12

butter my buns and call me a biscuit

I'm not from the south. I've never been to the South.

But this Seattle girl does love biscuits.

In fact most pastries make me happy: biscuits, scones, pie... you name it.

And so even though I live in the land of coffee and tech, I have the easiest recipe to make delicious, homemade biscuits in 20 minutes or less. Honestly-- time yourself. It's quick.

ingredients:
2 cups flour (or 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour)
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup milk

directions:
mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl with a fork.
cut in shortening and mix with pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. add milk and stir. drop by the spoonful onto a nonstick cookie sheet.
bake at 450* for 12 minutes or until golden brown.


While these little guys are delicious just like that-- they're also the perfect base for a ton of different additions...

a few of my favorite add-ins
- shredded cheese
- lemon rind, lemon juice & anise seed
- sugar and cinnamon


and if you're really feeling pro, reduce the amount of milk to 3/4 cup and roll them out and cut them with cookie cutters for more scone-like biscuits. perfect with soup, tea time or just to scarf when you get home from work...

enjoy, y'all! <-- am I allowed to say that?

xo, erika

11 comments

  1. love it! those look delish. i'm a huge fan of biscuits, especially adding CHEESE :) can wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *shocked* never been to the South?! Girl, time to make a trip down to Houston!! You can stay with me and I will take you on a tour of my city! We'll get you some southern food so you can say you've experienced it Paula Deen style. ;) even tho I never eat stuff like that. Haha. Except when it comes to sweets, oh my, weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy!! i can never get enough bread in me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, sugar and cinnamon biscuits! Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM, I love biscuits!


    P.S. I'm hosting a Shabby Apple giveaway, come enter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy Yummy, did I say Yummy?

    sam*

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! I'm from the south and y'all is perfectly legal in all 50 states ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! I'm from the South, but I'm quite picky about southern food. Biscuits, however, are one of my weaknesses.

    xo, Megan
    gingerly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I wonder if this would work the same with gf flour... going to have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so amazing, will you just come over to my house and make them for me?

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs