3/22/12

green smoothie

Does anyone else feel like kale is in right now? Like it's the vegetable? Maybe it's wrong, but I feel like food, like fashion, comes and goes. Poor spinach-- it used to be cool. And carrots? So 1990s.

If you're wondering how in the heck to eat the leafy green stuff I have a solution. While I do like it in salads and added to soups, there's a sneaky sneaky way to get the good green stuff in a smoothie, which is something I have been doing as of late. (mainly because the husband dislikes kale and doesn't appreciate me sprinkling it into our meals.)


banana: I like to peel these, cut 'em in half and put 'em in the freezer so they're ready for smoothie use
flax seeds: a little bit of extra crunch and fiber. (You could stick other nerdy healthy things in here)
blueberries: I love blueberries. Other frozen fruit works well too
kale: like I said, the hip extra-good-for-you veggie. You could use spinach here too

Blend it with plain yogurt, juice or I prefer almond milk because dairy is not my greatest friend these days. :(

Do you have smoothies on a regular basis? What do you stick in them?

xo, erika

p.s. wanna win one of my bags? you might want to check this out.

14 comments

  1. What does this taste like? I still have yet to venture to having 'veg' in my smoothies.
    Im not sure if I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try starting with baby spinach and berries! If you are nervous start with more berries than spinach. I use frozen berries because my blender doesn't love crushing ice. The berries totally mask the spinach! I've managed to sneak in half a bag of spinach AND the pickiest 5 year old on the planet loved it! (I didn't let him see the greens.)

      Delete
  2. Seeing the ingredients spread out doesn't make it seems as bad as it does all blended up. Perhaps I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so lazy sometimes, I'd love a smoothie if someone else would make it for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, we love smoothies! I stick to just fruit though...the mister got really antsy when I suggested adding a few veggies. Not really his thing. ;)

    We usually have frozen fruit on hand, and then I add in some juice & yogurt. They always turn out really yummy even though I don't use a specific recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO good! I always pick up Naked Juice smoothies when I'm on the go. Their Green Machine is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You r so right. It's all about kale right now. I must try this smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think kale is the thing now too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I always use frozen spinach or kale, fruit, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first heard about kale only about 4 years ago when I went to a healthy eating lecture here in NYC. Since then it's been the staple in my fridge. I use it for salads, side dishes, stews and smoothies. And I make myself a very green smoothie every morning. It's IS the IT vegetable for so many reasons! Kale love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually use fruit - bananas, kiwis, strawberries, bluberries etc. With some milk and a pinch of vanilla sugar. I looove smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man that looks so wonderfully yummy! I love smoothies, so I'm going to have to give this a try soon! :)

    Little Lady Little City

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kale really is so in right now, so funny. I will have to try this smoothie, looks yummy! I just picked up some dark chocolate covered kale from Whole Foods and am excited/nervous to try it...stay tuned :).
    XX
    Celina
    www.StyleByCelina.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried making a kale smoothie for the first time a few days ago. I don't have a blender, so I used to food processor. It tasted good but the consistency was... odd. I was expecting it to be totally smooth but there were still teeny bits of kale, so I felt like I had to chew my smoothie. I'm wondering if I need to just invest in a blender or if they always come out like this? Either way, yum. I used kale, spinach, soy milk, pineapple, apple, banana. The pineapple was the predominant taste, which was fine by me :) P.S. nice to see another Seattle blogger!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs