2/10/12

trends: color-blocking

One of my favorite trends right now is color-blocking or pairing two or more solid colors together in an outfit.

Mixing prints may be challenging, but mixing bright solid colors is sometimes even more difficult.
A few weeks ago I tried color-blocking for the first time and got a few questions from some of you on how to do it in your own closet.  I'm no expert, but here's a few tips:

1. pick colors either next to each other or on the opposite side on the color wheel. (for example: pink and orange or blue and orange.)

2. pick colors in similar shades-- i.e. don't mix pastels with brights.

3. balance the look with neutral accessories

Here I chose to mix magenta and orange in similar shades:
colorblocking with ruche

And my last tip-- have fun-- play around!

And if you don't feel like you can color block something in your closet, there's always the option of buying something that's already color-blocked for you:



xo, erika

9 comments

  1. Love this trend, too! You're so right about mixing them with neutrals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first set is nice, I love how you paired with neutrals not to over due the trend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that first outfit--would totally wear that! Your tips are really great--sometimes I'm just so confused about why somethings don't work together when I was sure they would!

    rach
    modestemusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide what I think of this trend. Sometimes I like it, other times... eh. Maybe it just needs to be done well to get the okay from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these tips! I bought a pair of coral skinny jeans a few weeks ago and have been dying to color block, but also terrified. These tips helped! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want those shoes in the first picture!
    Seriously they are perfect!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great color blocking tips! I always want to try this trend, but I don't wan to look foolish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup - that should work. I'm actually taking a color class right now (I'm in a graphic design program) and that's exactly how you pick a color scheme that will go well together! I hadn't thought of applying my new-found knowledge to clothes, but it totally works!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs