2/2/12

beautiful revolution


There was a time, once upon a time, that I didn't leave the house without makeup.

There was a time when I put on coverup and mascara to go to my college gym.

There was a time when I was consumed by looking "put-together."

My sophomore year of college, a few friends and I issued a challenge... No Makeup March in which we could not wear anything-- not even colored lipgloss-- for an entire month.

To some of you, this is no big deal. But to me-- the girl wearing mascara and running at the gym-- this was a huge challenge. I didn't feel pretty without makeup and to go an entire month was ludicrous.

Yet, I took the challenge and for one month, I washed and dried my face and left for the day.

At the end of the month I was completely changed. While I was excited about wearing makeup (and especially covering zits) I realized that no one thought less of me because I wasn't all "made up." I realized I didn't need to have mascara on at the gym. I realized that I could be beautiful without it.

I bring all this up because as a woman, I am constantly bombarded by advertisements to get the latest product, images of women perfectly airbrushed and fit and I begin to believe that I need to look like that. I begin to believe that I am not good enough and I stop loving myself as much.

I bring this up because February -- the month of love -- is the perfect time to embrace imperfection and remember the importance of loving myself -- with makeup or without.

Amy of A is for Ampersand is celebrating a month of loving ourselves on her blog. It's a beautiful thing and perfect for Valentine's Day. Join her? Join me? (I promise you can still wear makeup.)

Sign the revolution on her blog today. :)

 xo, erika

7 comments

  1. I usually try to go makeupless in the summer months...it's always harder to stop wearing it than to start! Thanks for sharing Amy's post (I saw it on Facebook yesterday). I love the idea and it's something we all struggle with to a certain extent in this culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! So happy you got to see it from that point of view. I'll definitely take part in the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could do this... unfortunately, I have horrible skin. I would feel so uncomfortable, I think it would just hurt my social anxiety even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. since having my baby i have hardly had anytime to put on makeup!! when i leave the house now, it's just the minimum.. eyeliner and lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this thought. I'm not a huge makeup person myself, but this thought goes way beyond makeup. I'm so fed up of seeing images on Pinterest of super skinny or 'perfect' bodies that people are using to motivate themselves. I believe in being healthy and being myself... and being the best me that I can be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post!!! You are so beautiful and if you do wear makeup I really can't tell!! You just have a natural beauty that shines!!
    I remember in high school I would just put on powder ((I had horrible acne)) and I really didn't start wearing makeup till about 12th grade!!
    Now I usually never leave the house without powder + eyeliner + mascara. Mostly because it makes me look more awake and I really love to cover up little blemishes + my dark circles. Some days when I have to run to 711 or some such store I won't even bother with that. But it is mostly for me and not anyone else, because I like the way I feel when I look put together.
    I love this idea that Amy had to just embrace our natural beauty!! Makes me feel like going make up free. ((+ some moisturizer!!)) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great concept! I love this post. You are such a beautiful feminist!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs