4/16/13

whole-wheat cranberry-orange muffins with flaxseed


I love quiet Sunday afternoons. Usually husband is at work and it's just me and the pup for a few hours with the house to ourselves.

Sunday afternoons are perfect for sewing, for reading, and for baking. I love to make bread, soup or some sort of dish to start off my week. This week, it was muffins.

These are a mouthful literally and figuratively: whole-wheat cranberry-orange muffins with flax seed. We could also throw honey in the name as well, as these are made with 1/3 of a cup of honey and less sugar than normal.



whole-wheat cranberry-orange (recipe modified from here)
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup flax seeds
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, almost melted
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 cup of raw cranberries 
  • juice of 1/2 orange 
  • 2 tsp orange zest
  • optional: 2 tbs white sugar

 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour through salt.

In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, and honey.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
Stir in orange juice, orange juice and cranberries. (Alternatively, you can just stick a few cranberries in each muffin before you pop them in the oven.)
Pour patter into muffin pan, filling each tin about 2/3 full of batter

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops become golden brown.


You may want to sprinkle the muffins with some sugar right when they get out of the oven as the cranberries can be a little tart!


xo, erika




4 comments

  1. These look amazing! I am going to add them to my to-bake list and I can't wait to see how they taste! Thanks for the great share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, those look tasty, and minus the cranberries I have all of those ingredients in my house. Definitely going to have to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, I love to bake muffins! And cranberry orange is my hubby's favorite flavor, so I should save this recipe. =)

    one sweet tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs