4/17/13

your questions answered (part two: blog)

Quite awhile ago, I asked you to send me any of your burning questions. I answered a few of the personal questions, but now I'm tackling the ones regarding the blog. (see your questions answered part one)

 typical evening at my house... ;)

q: I love that your blog feels so personal. I'm working on trying to be more open on my own blog bit I seem to be struggling. Any advice?

a: What's funny about this question is that this is something that I feel like I struggle with! I think what helps me is that I imagine myself writing or talking to a friend. What do I want to share with them? What would they like to read? I think there is a fear of oversharing, but to be honest there are some blogs where I feel like I don't see enough of the real person -- their likes, dislikes, etc -- and so I'm not as attracted to the content. It's a fine balance, to be sure.

q: I know you've blogged before about being afraid of people you know in everyday life finding out about your blogging/online shop. Have you overcome this at all? Do most of your friends in real life know about blogger Erika?

a: To be honest, I live in a dream world thinking that no one knows about this blog. I do have quite a few friends who lurk here and read daily, (you know who you are!), but I definitely still feel really weird talking about the blog. I am working on it though-- especially with my friends! It's become such a huge part of my life and if my friends don't know about it or don't understand it, they're missing out on a big part of my life.

One thing to note is that with the internet so widespread today, so many people have heard of blogs, or maybe even read blogs or write their own blog so having one isn't quite as strange as it used to be! But again, I am still working on this and I don't post a lot on instagram partially because of this fear of my blog world and real world colliding. (silly fear, right?)

q: Do you have any blogging-advice for us new bloggers?

a: Have fun! No, really-- if you don't enjoy this, it's not going to be worth it. I genuinely love to blog. I love dreaming up ideas, I love writing it-- I just really really like it and you should really like what you're blogging about too. (Even though you will have off days, everyone does.)

Other that that...
- go easy on yourself. Everyone starts somewhere. Grow gradually-- write content that you are proud of and that you enjoy and if you love what you're writing, what you're sharing, you'll likely find others that enjoy and love what you share too.
- photos. You don't need a good camera-- heck, use your phone-- but just use great lighting! Take photos in daylight-- not bright sunshine, just good, bright natural light and don't over edit them. I take a ton of photos for diys and recipes on the weekends when I have access to lots of light.
- what do you like to read? I like fashion blogs and recipe blogs and blogs that sprinkle in real life too-- so that's what I write about too! I ask myself, would I want to read my own blog?
- find your people. Read lots of blogs-- big ones, small ones-- and connect with them-- over Twitter, over Facebook, through commenting. And find people that are in the same boat as you and help each other grow.

have any other questions for me?

happy thursday!

xo, erika


4 comments

  1. I agree that you do a great job of balancing personal stuff and keeping the content interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am the same about making my blog very public.. i never post about it on facebook - which is almost all real-life friends. i do have a mix of online followers & real-life followers on instagram, it's an interesting mix. i too like a bit of real life stuff in blogs.. it draws me in more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your answer to the first question... I try to keep mine the same way. I never want to come off an holier than thou and I certainly don't want things to feel aloof.

    I think you do a great job of being open!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm the same. i definitely have a hard time saying i have a blog in real life.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs