4/28/13

hosting my pity party

sweatshirt: c/o Evy's Tree // t-shirt: H&M // necklace: Nordstrom Rack // pants: Dorothy Perkins // boots: Macys



I think being positive, and maybe a little silly (see photo numero uno) is a good coping method of mine, and maybe a good coping method of most people. We joke, we make small remarks to deflect when we feel like the bottom beneath us is not quite as sturdy as it once was.


I don't like a lot of doom and gloom on the blog, not because I'm trying to be fake or pretend that I have it all together, because I certainly don't have it all together, or even any of it all together.


But I'm going to be honest. It has not been all roses and sunshine lately, even though Seattle has finally decided to have spring weather. There has been some disappointing things. To be brief: the future the husband and I so carefully planned out -- or rather the timeline that I so carefully plotted -- is less certain. The shop has been so much work lately to the point where I know I love it, but I wonder if I can keep these late nights up. My poor, little crazy dog had to go and tear his ACL. Yes, dogs do that and it's painful and horrible and I won't go into details except that having it happen while we're dogsitting two other dogs has just made for a weekend that wasn't exactly what I had planned.

And I'm not saying this to expect a pity party -- I've already hosted that event -- except to share what I've been thinking in light of all of this.

When some things happened last week, this weekend, my first reaction was "This is SO unfair!" and to get angry. But when has life been fair? And where we ever promised that life would be fair? If there's anything I know, life is hard and God even told us life would be hard.

But I also know that when life is hard, we learn things. We learn how to depend on God, how to depend on others and we learn about compassion and empathy, and ultimately what it means to grow as people.


So here's to being honest about life and it's challenges. I know right now is just a blip in the road, but I know it won't be the only one I ever encounter.

xo, erika






13 comments

  1. I've always found that when I think things are going to work out one way and then they don't (God throws a curve ball), you get to know Him so much better. It's still tough and the process can hurt, but sometimes it's more important to learn to trust His faithfulness. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the words of singer Jason Castro, "This is only a moment...This is only a mountain, tell it to move and it will move. Tell it to fall and it will fall!" You got this (and so does God!)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no!! I'm so sorry Erika about things not turning out quite the way you wished!! I hope things turn around for you + I hope your sweet little pup feels better soon!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing sweet friend. ill be sending love, healing, relaxation your way. :) So sorry to hear about the little nes. Dodger is really upset about it. We'll all be thinking about you this week.xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. your poor pup! that must be heartbreaking. and yeah, life can be hard and unfair and i think we all have pity party moments, but i like to remind myself that people all over this world have it far worse off than me and i need to just get over whatever is getting me down. hope this week is better for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, dear. I hope things start looking up, Erika! :( it sucks when things don't go the way you wanted-- but in the words of Lennon, "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans." Just try to take it one day at a time. I hope your pup gets better soon too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monte's got some pain in his back right now so I know how you must be feeling about Nesby. I hope the poor guy feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If there is one thing I've learned in my life, it's that ANY plans for the future that you ever make are only a rough outline. The future is always, always, always in flux, and while you can dream and hope and work toward a future goal, the Universe will find ways to remind you to be flexible. That being said...the future you end up with may be better than the future you had planned out.

    Hopefully the (still, now post-storm on Monday) awesome weather here will cheer you a bit. And best of luck with the shop frustrations, and your poor pup. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope things turn around for you! It seems like I've been having a lot of bad luck too. Hopefully as the spring settles in things will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you! I appreciate your honesty. I pray that you can trust God's plan, it's definitely not easy when we have our own plans mapped out (pretty sure all of us women do). Hope you can continue to be positive and silly through it all, definitely a good way to be as long as you're not burying your struggles. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erika, it was so great to finally meet you in person on Saturday!

    I can only imagine what it would be like to have to juggle all the things you're dealing with now. It definitely sounds like you have given a lot of thought to what the next steps are for your business. Where you want to take it vs how much time you want to spend on it is a hard question to answer when there's so much uncertainty around how the shop's success is going to pan out in the grand scheme of your plans.

    xo,
    katrina
    thedemuremuse.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. God is so good and so much bigger than our pity parties! I hope it's gotten better over the last few days! I'll be praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sweatshirt is so cute! And your poor dog. I'll pray for him and for you.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs