4/22/13

recipe: cinnamon wheat bread


Honestly there is nothing in the world like fresh bread. And it's even better when said fresh bread has a swirl of cinnamon sugar in it.

I feel like kind of a cheater when it comes to homemade bread because I use a bread machine. You just dump ingredients in the bread machine and it does everything: mixing, kneading, rising and even baking. You can make pizza dough in it, bagel dough in it and even cinnamon bread dough in it.

We got ours secondhand from a friend, but I see them all the time at Goodwill. And I think they're worth the $10 or whatever that Goodwill would charge for them. Seriously. Bread machine equals life changing.

Even if you don't have a bread machine, you can make this bread. I made it whole wheat to make it a teensy bit healthier, but let's be real here: it has a swirl of sugar and cinnamon in it. It can't be that good for you, which, by the way, is totally fine with me.



cinnamon swirl wheat bread recipe altered from here
bread ingredients:
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup softened coconut oil (or butter)
2 cups white flour
2 cups wheat flour
1/8 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast


swirl ingredients:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
4 tbs cinnamon
3 tbs softened coconut oil (or butter)


bread machine directions:
1. Pour in liquid ingredients first, topping with dry ingredients.
2. Place sugar and salt in opposite corners and using your finger, make a well in the center of the flour to add the yeast.
3. Select the dough cycle.
4. Once dough has finished, remove it from the machine and divide dough in half.
5. Roll each half into a rectangle about 9x14 inches. Spread 1 tablespoon softened butter over the top of each dough rectangle and evenly sprinkle dough with half the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll dough rectangles, starting from the short ends, and pinch seams closed. 
6.  Place in greased pan, seams down, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 
 
non-bread machine directions:
1. Mix liquids -- milk through coconut oil-- and sugar together in one bowl, stirring until well blended.
In another bowl, mix remaining ingredients and add slowly to wet ingredients, stirring as you add.
2. Once stirred together, remove from bowl and knead on a floured surface until the dough is soft and smooth
3.  Place dough in covered bowl in a warm place to rise until doubled in size
4. Remove dough from the bowl, punch down and knead for a minute or two. Follow directions 5 and onward in original recipe.

enjoy!

xo, erika

7 comments

  1. Well now I'm going to Goodwill to buy a bread machine....

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! I see bread machines at thrift stores all the time too. They were all the rage in the 90s and then people went low carb and i think everyone got rid of them! Sometimes I wish I had one but sometimes I am glad I don't....I would eat way too much bread :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, this sounds delicious! Love that it's made with wheat flour and coconut oil... sounds magical.

    Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, I have neglected my bread machine for too long. I think this might make me pull it out this week :) I <3 bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bread machines! I got ours from Goodwill and it has been one of the best tiny investments. I'm going to have to pull mine out this afternoon now. LOVE that you made yours with whole wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I've never used a breadmaker, but my mom has one somewhere, I think~

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs