4/2/13

guest post: oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Hi rouge & whimsy readers!  I'm Gina from {Acute Designs} and I am so happy to be here today while Erika is frolicking around Europe.  I mean, how jealous are you??  I, for one, am super jealous.

Today I am going to share with you guys one of my all-time favorite treats - Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.


When I was a kid, my grandma would visit us and bake and bake and bake and bake.  One of her specialties was oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.  She would make about a million batches and freeze them so we would have cookies for months after her visit had ended.  Once we went to my uncle's house after she had passed away and he still had cookies in the freezer....true story and yeah, a little creepy.  But whatever, they were still amazing!

It was my dad's birthday last week and he loves oatmeal chocolate chip just as much as I do, so I whipped up a batch of these cookies and sent them off to him.  Well, I sent him about two-thirds of the batch, I ate the rest in less than a day.  I have no self control when it comes to sweets.  I should probably stop baking so much.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies {adapted from The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook}
-1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
-16 tablespoons {two sticks} butter, softened
-1 cup packed light brown sugar
-3/4 cup white sugar
-2 eggs
-3 cups old fashioned oats
-1 cup dark chocolate chips {or whatever ind you prefer...dark chocolate are my favorite}

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.  Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, cream together the softened butter and sugars for about 3 minutes.  Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated - less than a minute.  Finally, with the mixer on low, add in the dry ingredients, then the oats, until just combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Using your hands, roll the dough {about a tablespoon at a time} into balls and line on the cookie sheets.  Bake for 8 minutes, then rotate the pans and bake for another 8 minutes.  Take these out of the oven once the edges start to slightly brown.  These cookies are thick, so if they are over-baked they will get hard.  Let the baked cookies cool on the cookie sheets for about two minutes, then transfer to a plate to cool.


This recipe will make about 45-50 cookies.....enjoy!


xo,
Gina
blog // etsy // instagram // facebook // twitter




3 comments

  1. yum! I need to stop reading your blog before 9am :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! Definitely on my list for this weekend :)
    I stumbled across your blog through Sew Caroline and am thrilled to find a Seattle blogger! I'm moving there in June and love getting a glimpse at what life is like in the city thanks to your blog.
    Blessings!

    Bailey Jean
    http://anchoredinlovedivine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love oatmeal choco cookies! these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs