7/12/11

what's for dinner


 Summertime food is the best. Much of it is easy and much of it doesn't involve a lot of time. And if it does, I'm not interested.

While the husband has grill duty, I'm in charge of sides.

On Saturday he slapped some salmon on grill and I made potato salad and basil-argula strawberry salad. And I'm sharing the recipes--which I kinda made up as I went along-- with you.


But before I share the recipe, the husband wanted me to tell you about the bread. Soooooo it caught on fire. Big deal, my mom did the same thing growing up. You decide to broil some garlic bread, forget about it in the oven and then smell smoke. It happens, right people?

OK, fine, the flames were pretty big and we almost grabbed the fire extinguisher (which, we had purchased earlier that day... ironic right?) but I decided to be brave and just grabbed the bed and threw it in the sink. I think my husband is still stressed out by the whole situation...or maybe the fact that I was able to salvage a few pieces and we ate them... (are you judging me right now? I think I would judge me too, it's ok.)

Besides the whole bread-fire-sink incident, dinner was great. And I'm sharing the recipe (but not the recipe for catching bread on fire. You'll have to figure that out on your own.)

  
Low(er) fat potato salad
3 lbs of baby red potatoes, washed & quartered
1/4 cup of non-fat plain yogurt
2 tbs low fat mayo
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tbs dijon mustard
2 tbs chopped fresh dill
1 tbs parsley (fresh is best, but dried works as well.)
1/2 cup chopped white onion
2 tsp salt or to taste
3 tsp pepper
2 hardboiled eggs, peeled & chopped for garnish (optional)

Chop & boil taters until they're done. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix yogurt through pepper. Add cooked potatoes. Toss. Garnish with eggs. Serve. Eat. Repeat.


Argula Basil Strawberry Salad
*two servings
2 cups chopped argula leaves
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup chopped strawberries

Dressing:
2 tbs balsmic vinegar
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)

Throw salad ingredients in a bowl. Whisk dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over salad. Serve immediately and eat instantly.

Goes great with burnt bread and barbecued salmon.

:) Erika

2 comments

  1. let me just say that my mother was FAMOUS for burning bread! in fact, my sister and i were highly trained that the second we heard the smoke alarm going off, we'd run into the kitchen, grab some placemats, and start fanning under the smoke alarm to make it turn off. your post just reminded me of that memory....which gave me a pretty good chuckle. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love potato salad! and that berry salad looks delish too :)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs