7/5/11

guest post from Manda: hometown tour

Hi guys--- or should I say hi y'all? I've never been to Texas, (unless you count airports) and never been to a Texas small town so I was excited when Manda said she'd be sharing about her sweet little spot in the Lonestar State. :)



Hi. I'm Amanda (or Manda Jane to some). You can find me over at Elf House Chronicles. I'm so excited to be guest posting for Erika today. I thought I would share with all you a little piece of the place I call home. 


I'm a small town girl these days. I grew up here in Pittsburg (notice no H at the end), Texas. Population 4,347. I moved away for about 10 years (where I was trying my hand at being a big city girl) - and said I would never move home. Well, never say never. I've been back almost 4 years now! Small town living isn't so bad! As I worked on this piece for today, I realized that my little town actaully is pretty interesting! I'm going to share some hightlights of my little Northeast Texas town with you.


 
Everything you've heard about Texas high school football is true. You've seen Varsity Blues? It's not far from the truth. We are the mighty Pittsburg Pirates and we take our football seriously. We are not fair weather fans and we support our boys win or lose! I only live a few blocks from the high school - so on football Friday nights I can hear the announcer, the crowd and the band all from my backyard (that's when I'm not actually at the game)!


 
I didn't really realize how many 'famous' things and people came from my little hometown until I started thinking about it. We make the world famous Pittsburg Hot Links here. So good that we've had President's request they be shipped to the White House. It's still a family run, 100 year old business (which I love), and you can find them in grocery stores across America. What is a hot link you ask? It is an all beef, hand tied link in natural casing! I can put down about 10 of them. Each person is different, but I eat mine with ketchup and hot sauce - mixed!


 
Pittsburg is also the home of Pilgrim's Pride Chicken, the second largest chicken producer in the world. This is both a highlight and a sad note at this point. Mr. Lonnie 'Bo' Pilgrim, who helped found the business in 1946 still resides in Pittsburg (even owns the bank my Dad works at), but the business sold out this last year. Sad because my little town and most of those around here relied heavily on this corporation for jobs and we've lost a lot of good people and family's who have had to move to find work. Mr. Pilgrim built this prayer tower years ago for the city and it's a beautiful place. People use it for weddings, pictures, Day of Prayer celebrations and just a place to go and sit and medidate. It was a nice gift to our city!


 
I don't want to bore you too much with our little 'hick' town! But we are the home of Carroll Shelby - known for making mustangs for Ford. We are also the birthplace of Cavender Boots - but you may have to be from Texas to know about Cavenders. And we like to boast we flew an airplane well before the Wright Brothers. The Rev. Burell Cannon built an airplane based on a passage in the Book of Ezekiel and was said to have flown 15 feet in the air for a good 50 yards. However, the craft was destroyed on it's way to the 1904 St. Louis World Fair. A replica sits in our Depot Musuem!



 
Well, thanks for taking the time to learn a little more about my corner of the world. It's nice to live in a place where everyone still waves when you pass them on the street, men still tip their hats and people pull over for funeral processions. I won't lie, I do miss Whole Foods, good sushi restaurants and anything that stays open past 10 p.m.! But, it's home - and that's what truly matters!


 
Lots of Love..
 
~Manda Jane~

Thanks for sharing Manda! I think small towns are fascinating-- the town I grew up in was population 30,000...and now I live in a city of 600,000. Someday I think, though, I'm going to end up living in a small town. :)

1 comment

  1. Hi there,
    Stopping by via Life...Unscripted:) I'm a new follower!
    Come visit me, "Nay" at
    www.covertocoverandbetween.blogspot.com
    Hope we can be neighbors!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs