1/16/14

january | read, reading, to read



I thought I was due for a reads post. I love sharing the books I read (and I LOVE hearing about books you're reading.)

Here's currently what's been on my bookshelf (and loaded on my Kindle).

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom // I can't believe I had never read this. This book is astonishing. It's a true story of the amazing faith of a family who hides people during World War II. It's one of the few books that made me sob, not because it was so sad, but because I was so struck by Corrie and her sister Betsi's faith.


Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Ann Fowler // I love F Scott Fitzgerald's works and I've always been fascinated by he and his wife Zelda. This story-- told from Zelda's perspective-- is historic fiction, but it's incredibly well done.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt // Everyone (newspapers, magazines, etc) is all over this book and so I thought I'd try it because I usually like critically-acclaimed best sellers. To be honest, I enjoy Donna's style of writing-- she's incredibly descriptive-- but I have a really hard time with the main character. Anytime I can not understand the motivations behind a character (or don't like them a lot), I lose interest and in this case, I kind of want to shake the narrator at times. However, I'm working through it, (skimming some pages to get through it), just because I need to finish it. (Kindle tells me I'm 78% through... )

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai // I am fascinated by the Middle East and definitely do not understand a great deal about the culture. I can't wait to dig into this autobiography by an undoubtedly incredible girl.

The Book Thief by Mark Zusak // I know it's going to be a movie, but I heard that on its own, it's an moving book. I have it requested at the library but if I get antsy, I may have to give in and buy it.

What have you read recently and loved? (Or hated?)

xo, erika

7 comments

  1. I just did one of these lists too! I have lots of crime drama in my to-read pile, that's my favourite - Janet Evanovich is probably my favourite author, I have all of her Stephanie Plum novels! I'd love to know what you think of Book Thief when you get to it - my SIL said the movie was really good :)
    Trina @ musicalbutterfly.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I can't wait until The Book Thief comes out, because once I watch it I can read it! Just in case the book is better than the movie, you know, save the better for later.
    Happy reading!
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been searching {and searching!} for a few good books to read this winter, I am definitely going to pick up Z! & the Hiding place. Can't believe I haven't read that either. Its about time for sure. I hope you have a great weekend! happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! YES, LOVE The Hiding Place! I just finished my first book for the year, too, The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards by Kristopher Jansma (fiction--kinda like Inception in book form, HA!). Now I have some business-y books I'm reading, "How to Sell When Nobody's Buying" (old) and "The One Thing" (newer).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read The Book Thief as well, I've heard it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am waiting until I read The Book Thief before I see the movie, too! I read The Hiding Place years ago, and loved it. You are making me want to read it again, though. I just finished reading The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis and I do highly recommend it if you have not read it! Are you on goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for new reads to add to my Kindle! Thanks for sharing lady!
    xx
    Here&Now
    Enter my current giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs