3/13/13

eat your veggies: spinach chicken enchiladas


I like sneaking veggies in dishes that don't traditionally call for them-- like enchiladas*. So when you think extra cheese, think instead, extra spinach.

Not only is spinach available year-round in most places, it's also full of all that stuff you know you need. So feel free to stick it in all your random dishes... although maybe not dessert.




spinach chicken enchiladas
1 1/2 cup green salsa
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I use full-fat greek, without sugar or additives)
1 jalepeno, deseeded and diced (optional)
1/2 diced white onion
2 cups washed, torn spinach leaves (or 3 cups frozen, defrosted and patted with a paper towel)
1 tsp cumin
4 to 6 whole wheat tortillas
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
2 shredded chicken breasts or 2 cups white beans


Mix green salsa, yogurt, jalepeno, and cumin in a large bowl.
In a pie pan or other oven-safe dish, lay one tortilla down and top with 2 spoonfuls of yogurt-salsa mixture, some chicken or beans, spinach and sprinkling of cheese.
Top with another tortilla and repeat the process until you have filled the pan. (I usually have 5 tortillas layered by the time I'm done.)
Sprinkle any remaining cheese on top or yogurt mixure.
Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted, tortillas are slightly browned-- about 15 minutes.


see the other posts in the series: beets || fennel
have a veggie suggestion for me? Let me know!

xo, erika

* I don't know if these technically can be called enchiladas because they aren't rolled and don't have enchilada sauce. But I didn't know what else to call this dish... so enchilada it is :)

2 comments

  1. I love that you used a pie dish! It looks really tasty. I love sneaking in greens too. We had bean tacos last night topped with arugula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i love sneaking veggies into foods like this too. it makes me feel healthier and less like a fatty :).

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs