3/22/13

recipe: (slightly healthy) chocolate chip cookies



I'm usually skeptical of lower fat things-- especially desserts-- for two reasons: one) if it's not homemade, lower fat usually means more preservatives or additives or two) low-fat desserts usually don't taste very good.

But these are different-- no weird additives and definitely delicious. (The husband didn't even know there was whole wheat in them.)



I wish I could take credit for these, but they're from my favorite cooking magazine Cooking Light.

The trick? Use less butter but brown it to enhance the flavor.

(slightly healthier) chocolate chip cookies
6 tbs unsalted butter
2 tbs coconut oil, softened (or canola oil)
1 1/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups chocolate chips

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat until the butter browns, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to overcook or scorch the butter. Remove from heat and add coconut oil
- Combine dry ingredients-- through salt-- in a large bowl and whisk together
- Beat sugars and butter together until smooth, add eggs and beat until just mixed.
- stir in dry ingredients, careful not to over mix.
- add in chocolate chips
- drop batter on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper two inches apart
- bake for 10 to 12 minutes



the perfect treat for your weekend!

xo, erika




5 comments

  1. Looks yummy! I haven't had chocolate chip cookies in a long time!

    xx Denysia Yu
    http://denysiayu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with Cooking Light and these look delicious. I've tried making chocolate chip cookies with whole wheat flour before though and they didn't turn out as well as I liked...I guess if you're making dessert you should just go all in. These look amazing though, and I bet the white:whole wheat ratio would solve my previous problem! Love the browned butter technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy, I have a similar recipe I'm waiting to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum!!! These look amazing.
    www.shannonheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs