3/3/13

overcome the lie

There are many lies we believe. Maybe we believe that we're constantly going to fail. Maybe we believe that no one would care about our struggles.

You can likely fill in your own answer of negativity -- the thing you tell yourself -- even though you probably know, deep down, that it is not true.

Why do we keep letting ourselves be less that who we are? Why is it easier to fall into bad habits about our worth? We can blame media, models, society, but I think we also have to blame ourselves because we have become comfortable with thinking that we are less.

Ashley created Overcome the Lie,  a social media campaign that aims to help women break free from the lies and believe the truth about their worth.


Not only do I want to promote Overcome the Lie, I want to share the lie that I fall victim to all the time.

My lie? That what I do is not enough. That I need to do more. My house needs to be cleaner, my job needs to be better, I should get up earlier, I need to exercise more, I should bake cookies for that friend...fill in the blank...

I know that I am not alone in this. In fact, that's another lie I'm tempted to believe. I'm tempted to think that no one else feels inadequate, no one else feels like a failure, but in reality, conversations with other women tells me that we all have days, moments, months, years, where we feel like failures.

Yucky, right?

My answer to all this is relatively simple. We need to change our thought process. We need to look to God, who tells us our worth, who says we are incredibly loved. We need to look to each other and encourage each other that we are not the only ones that feel like what we do is not enough. And we need to go easy on ourselves... and teach ourselves to know we are good enough.

What lies do you believe?

#overcomethelie

xo, erika

p.s. check out the overcome the lie shop, too!



14 comments

  1. nice post! I believe the 'overcome the lie' campaign, its a great idea! As are your thoughts on it, except for the God part....not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty of the exact same lie. I'm constantly berating myself that I'm not achieving enough. I think part of the trick is to listen to your inner voice and then ask yourself, "would you say any of that to your best friend or partner?" My inner voice is usually telling myself I'm not good enough, and it makes me realise I'm a bully towards myself. Time to lighten up and be kinder I think! Great post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on that lie. So encouraging to know we aren't alone and that we CAN overcome it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool post. One thing I am really caught up in lately is the idea that everyone else has the most amazing social life, always out with friends, on double dates, etc, leaving me feeling left out. I suspect its just one of those things that appears to be so, but really, a lot of people feel that way.

    http://somesnapshots.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOVE this. Some days, most of the time ...I feel like I'm not good enough. It's not on how others see me, either. I have ridiculously high expectations for myself, & if I can't live up to them on a daily basis, I get disappointed & discouraged. Like many others, I need to change my thought process, & try to stop being a perfectionist. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I have to talk myself out of this lie all day. I find I'm better when I do. I am now following you. I do Lifestyle blogging also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i neer thought about the negative things I think this way. so interesting and insightful, erika!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this. Such a hard but important lesson to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess the lie I tell myself is that I am never going to amount to more than what I am right this second. And it's an awful lie to believe because some days it makes me want to just stop and give up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also am guilty of telling myself that lie...and that other creative entrepreneurs are so much more successful/capable of me. Thanks for the reminder that I'm not the only one who feels this way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have fed into that lie time and time again. Love this. Our thought processes are SO important.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs