11/5/13

your own brand of crazy



Blogging can be hard. You put your words out there-- your ideas, your recipe, your whatever-- and you hope maybe someone will like it. And there's a lot of blogs out there, a lot of shops out there, and if you're like me, you wonder if it's worth it to add another blog or shop or enter-your-creative-endeavor-here to the mix.

Can I just say boldly yes. Yes, it is worth it.

Let me backtrack to explain why I can say that with such confidence. 

In September I attended the Influence Conference and like most good things, it's still with me. Like a great evening you keep reliving, your favorite dessert you keep tasting, I keep rolling the truths of the conference around.

One of the sessions author Shauna Niequist came and spoke. I am a big fan of Shauna-- of her books and her words and just HER. To hear her speak was incredible and she said a whole lot of good things. But in particular she talked about the gift of words, of creativity and of art.

"The myth is scarcity," she said. "And the truth is abundance."

She continued: "We need more blogs, more shops, more jewelry."

And honestly, I agree with her -- for several reasons.

 You are you. You are "your own brand of crazy," as Shauna put it, and we're talking crazy in a good way. You have a specific story, specific gifts and they are different from anyone else. I believe that God created us each so uniquely, formed us perfectly and the makeup of who we are can so richly bless others.

Our own brand of crazy-- our lives, ideas and stories can teach others, inspire others to big things-- starting a new business! or little things -- like trying something new with a wardrobe or recipe.

I know that I in particular have been so blessed by this weird little internet world. I have stretched myself and started a little business and felt the blessings of others who believe along with me. I have made real friends. I have been challenged by blog posts, I have read that posts that made me laugh, made me cry and taught me how to make a dang good salad. I love all the crazy that's out there because it reminds me that I am not alone in my crazy ideas or schemes. There are others out there sharing their crazy too.

I say all this because sometimes if you feel like you're pushing publish and no one is reading, or you're launching an Etsy shop and no one is buying, know this: you matter. You do your thing, YOUR calling, your brand of crazy that you were called to do. Your gifts matter whether you believe it or not.

And even if you don't see the impact, you are adding to this world. It can be a dark place sometimes and the words you type late at night or the art you create adds beauty and hope.

Final words of Shauna wisdom: "Do your own thing and your brand of crazy. If you shut that down, you will never feel that pleasure of being yourself."

xo, erika





13 comments

  1. Wow, this shot straight to the heart. Thanks for this, it was really good for me to hear and is kind of crazy timing after the conversation I had earlier tonight with my dad. I am sure I am not the only one this will speak to. I think I need to bookmark it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great reminder of truth from the Influence Conference! Your own brand of crazy is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah this is so awesome and so true. And best yet, I can apply it to my novel writing as well. As an avid reader I have a really hard time not comparing my writing to the writing of my favorite authors.

    Pinning this so I can use it as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement, Erika. Hearing Shauna was one of my favorite parts of Influence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and it's seriously the pep talk I needed. I have been thinking about my little blog and its purpose/my hopes for it lately (I even have an email drafted to you about it) and I am so encouraged by your words. Even when it feels like no one is reading, I am still able to use the blog as a creative outlet where I chronicle so many of life's otherwise forgotten details.

    Seriously, Erika, thank you for sharing your heart and adding to Shauna's good words. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the encouragement Erika. Now to figure out what "my kind of crazy" looks like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen! I didn't attend the Influence Conference (on my wishlist, though!) but I am a HUGE fan of Shauna and her writing. And I so agree with what you both said on blogging and being yourself. Blogging is definitely an odd thing, but it's also such a rewarding, amazing thing, too. So grateful for this post and your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, I may have gotten a little misty-eyed reading this ;) I came across your blog from the influence network website and how timely! I so don't have a clue what I'm doing in the blog world and totally have been feeling like, "why the heck am I doing this again." Thanks for the encouragement to share my crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah totally needed to see this tonight. I so easy compare myself to other bloggers and wonder why the heck I am even trying. thanks for being encouraging! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was exactly what I needed to read! I have never thought of it in that way before--comparison is SO easy, and I was toying with the whole "why do I even bother" aspect of it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so encouraging! Especially after talking to many bloggers about how much blogging has changed and "everyone's on instagram!" well.... so what!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs