11/12/13

make: pumpkin gnocchi with white sauce

I feel like as soon as it hits October, it's all about the pumpkin recipes.

But now that it has hit November, can we still get on board with pumpkin? Specifically, pumpkin pasta?

I've been wanting to make gnocchi for awhile, and I saw a recipe for sweet potato gnocchi but when I went to make it, I didn't have any sweet potatoes!

But I did have a can of pumpkin puree. And it turns out, they work the same.

 
 
pumpkin gnocchi
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cup flour (I did a mix of wheat and wheat. Gluten-free folks, try almond meal)
1 egg
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper


Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. The dough should be thick and slightly sticky. You can add more flour here if you want. 

Place the dough on a floured surface and cut the dough into 4 equal parts.


Roll each part into a 1-inch thick roll and slice off 1-inch squares.

Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.

Drop gnocchi pieces into the water (I did in batches) and when they float to the top, remove from the water and let cool on a paper towel-lined plate.


white sauce
(I'm sure there is a fancier name for this sauce, but growing up, my mom just called it white sauce.)
1 tbs butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp of pepper

Melt butter over low heat. Once melted, slowly stir in flour, constantly stirring until mixed together.

Slowly pour in milk, stirring constantly while adding.

Continue to stir over low heat until mixture begins to thicken.

Add pepper and remove from heat.

Pour over gnocchi and serve immediately.







5 comments

  1. i've only had gnocchi once and it was terrible! storebought and gross. but, i'm willing to give it a go because PUMPKIN! and it looks pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, i'm going to have to try this. i've been wanting to try pumpkin gnocchi for some time now, so obsessed w/ everything pumpkin (drinking a pumpkin cider right now in fact)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I need to try this! I love gnocchi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I will definitely need to try. Thanks!

    xoxo ~Shari
    www.pinkblotmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounds fantastic! have you seen this recipe? it seems very similar, but just adds sage into the mix :)

    http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/pan-fried-pumpkin-gnocchi-with-brown-butter-sage/

    Kirsten
    co-inspirator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs