11/19/13

comfort and change

 

It's strange to me that just a few short months ago I was wearing this skirt with a sleeveless blouse. Today, it's layered with tights and a scarf and a coat topped over that.

It's funny, really, how quickly things change in a few months. Weather can change, people can change, circumstances can change.

To be honest, I'm not good at change. I used to cry at the end of the school year in elementary school because I knew the next school year things would be different-- a different teacher, a different classroom and at that point I couldn't imagine it being different. I didn't want it different.

I had a hard time graduating college, a hard time transitioning into my first big-girl job with no summers off and a hard time figuring out what it meant to go from dating to being married.

Each fall, I relish the changing leaves and the cooler temperatures, but at the same time, a little part of me fights against this inevitable change, the transition from summer to a new and different season.

It's funny looking at my life right now in this moment because I feel like I've found my rhythm- - my comfortable place. I know my responsibilities at work. I've been married for four years and I kind of get the Etsy shop thing (kind of).

And a big part of me has started to get a little scared because if life has taught me anything, the moment you think you know what's going on is the moment you are going to realize that you don't know anything at all.  Just as the weather can instantly change, from one October weekend to the next, I fear that my spot in life can completely turn on its head.

But I know, deep down, that change is good. Just as the leaves are required to fall, as it's good to have a cooler season. Change in life is natural; it's not good to stand still.

I believe that God doesn't want us to become comfortable. The moment we become too comfortable is the moment we don't see opportunities in front of us. We don't see the possibility of a new friend, we don't see the time to leave an old job or start a new one. We are blinded by our obsession to staying comfortable, right where we are, because change-- the possibility of the unknown -- is scary.

We weren't designed to be sedentary and comfortable, with everything just laid out in front of us. We are made to be living life to the fullest in every moment-- changing, growing. 

Change is good. I'm telling myself this. It stretches us, makes us better.

In this moment of being too comfortable -- of feeling like I know everything that I am supposed to know -- I am trying to embrace the possibility of change. I am trying to look to God to see where I should go, what I should be open to. I am trying not to be afraid of the possibility of things not always being exactly where they are. Because change is good.


Deep thoughts based on wearing tights with a skirt, right? You probably just expected comments on mixing and matching. Next time, I promise. ;)

xo, erika

wear: 
skirt: hand-me-down from a friend
top: Forever 21
scarf: gift from Mom
tights: Target?
heels: Steve Madden via TJ Maxx


9 comments

  1. You and me both. I have a really difficult time with change. Even if it's good change. When Izzy scored his job at the university library I had this moment of panic. Which makes no sense - right across the street, better benefits, more money. No brainer! But change freaks me out. I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are spot on. change is good, but can be so hard! I usually love change, but lately EVERYTHING seems to be changing and that is really hard for me. thanks for the reminder to hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shape and volume of that skirt! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change is tough, tough, tough. I'm definitely a comfort-seeker and it's hard to admit that big changes are hard for me to take. But you're right, change is necessary, it's what God wants for us, and it is good for us, too.

    p.s. I am in love with your pattern mixing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I love love love your outfit! I love all forms of dresses and skirts but have such a hard time finding ways to wear them in the fall. I have a shirt similiar to yours, so I'll have to find a cute skirt to pair it with!


    Also, I've grown to accept (dare I even say like, and sometimes crave) change. It's a part of life that is always going to be there, and sometimes it is for the better. I can accept change, but the change of seasons is always tough- unless the weather is getting warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that scarf!

    http://blondieanchors.com/2013/11/21/leopard-print/

    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/10637851/blondie-anchors

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know change is good, but I'm still working on embracing it too!
    You definitely did a fabulous job remixing this skirt for the changing seasons. baby steps :)
    xx
    Here&Now

    Enter my Gigi New York tote giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this and i love you. what if we didn't ever change or grow? even though change is sometimes painful, it's necessary. just like the seasons! thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so good! So glad I found you through Kiki! Change is tough, but so needed. What would life be with only one season? I love summer, but a life-time of only summers? I would miss the vibrant colors of autumn or the fresh snowfall of winter. Each season has an appointed time and the change of seasons is sometimes tough, but beautiful

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs