11/24/11

so much to be thankful



Yesterday it poured.

And water seeped into our crawl space so the husband and I spent a good part of our evening hooking up the sump pump to pump the water out into the yard. It was dark and wet.

I headed upstairs to start making pumpkin pie and the dishwasher disposal had stopped working. As I attempted to do dishes, water filled the sink. And I was filled with despair.

As the husband unclogged the sink we both begin to complain about the pains of owning a home. Until the husband stopped.

"This is ridiculous," he said. "We have so much to be thankful for, so many blessings and we're complaining about a clogged disposal in a house we own."

It was a startling moment when we both realized how petty our concerns were in the grand scheme of things. We are both beyond blessed to have a roof over our head, food in our fridge and a loving family to share Thanksgiving with. Every day when I go downtown to work at the job that pays my bills, I am reminded of how many do not have even the basics.

This is not to say that dealing with a flooded crawlspace is not a pain, it's just a change of perspective of the many good things in my life that I am so grateful for.

And my prayer is that I am not just thankful today on the official holiday, but am reminded to be thankful all year round.

happy thanksgiving.

xo, erika

4 comments

  1. Right now I'm really struggling to find things to be thankful for. Sometimes it's really hard. I'm just trying to find even the little stuff, just to get me through.

    For me I just keep saying, "It WILL get better."

    Hope you have a good Thanksgiving and I'll try to work on changing my perspective ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! We are all luckier than we know sometimes and just need a little healthy reminder now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a great thanksgiving beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good reminder. and i love that photo you took :) hope you had a great thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs