11/8/11

being honest


Last week-- and nearly every week-- I've been challenged to be a little more honest on my blog.

I want this place to be a positive spot on the web, somewhere where you feel encouraged and inspired.

But I don't want it to be fake.

So with that, I am making an effort to be honest.

What I realized, however, in blogging that where I am most fake is in regards to my real life.

What I mean is that the real reason I didn't want to create a Facebook for my shop is because I was am afraid of what others think. Others being the people that I see every day, others that are family members, or old coworkers or high school friends.

Unfortunately, for most of my life I've allowed my fear of what others think drive who I am.
In junior high it changed the way I dressed and who I chose as friends.
In high school it affected my own self worth.

Today I am working on not letting my fear of others' opinions determine who I am. But I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that it is always easy for me.

Having a Facebook page is the link between this little blogging dream world and the real world. Here, most of my readers-- you guys-- have blogs or shops and you get why I write here and why I like it.
Out there in the "real world" this could be seen as weird.

But doe that matter-- to be seen as weird? It shouldn't.

Whether it's blogging, my handmade shop, my red hair or whatever, my worth should not be determine by the opinions of others or the perceived opinions of others.

So I took the plunge. I made a Facebook page. If you want to stop by and "like" me you're welcome to. But in all honestly, I made it as a challenge to myself -- a challenge to determine my own self worth -- without worrying about what others think.




xo, erika

15 comments

  1. I completely understand...and had the exact same struggle when deciding, plus the fact that I don't have a shop. But I also realized I knew people who would connect via facebook over Twitter so I went for it.
    Thanks for being honest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get it! And good for you for wanting to be real with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often feel the same way. Your blog is lovely, and the best you can do is just be true to yourself. Thanks for sharing these intimate thoughts.

    Heidi
    http://oliveobserver.blogspot.com/2011/11/triviatuesday-giveaway-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally know what you mean. i get nervous sometimes when people i see in person everyday find out about my shop/blog. Thanks for being honest in a way that encourages others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you sweetie! this is a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a sweet girl and I am so glad that I found your blog!! I am so glad that you are not letting the fear take you over anymore and that you are doing something you want to do, because you want to do it!! Good luck and I hope that whatever path you take in life leads you to much happiness!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just getting to the point where I can mention my blog to people I know "in real life" and don't get embarrassed. Sometimes when I talk about it they think I'm lame but you know what? I'm proud of my bog and the things I've done with it and the friends I've made from it. And if people think I'm lame, whatever. I love it and that's all that matters.

    Off to like your FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are incredible Erika! Thank you for sharing your talents, gifts, authenticity and heart with everyone you meet. People "real" or "not real" have been and will continue to be touched by you, the true you. That's all people truly desire anyway...is to be around genuine people, however those people are hard to find. So thanks for being one of them to help encourage the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for being you!! Don't worry about other people, you are an awesome and talented lady! Love your blog, your personality....let it shine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! =) I had a fb page, but no one knew about that or my blog - I just posted it last night to all of my fb friends last night. Made me so nervous to be that vulnerable! Good for you!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I KNOW people think I'm weird - that I have friends online who I feel like I know better than in real life ... that I spend so much time writing posts and networking ... all of it. But, it's who I am and who YOU are and we shouldn't apologize or be fearful about that. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you! Some of my IRL friends think I'm crazy (and avoiding them?) because of my online friends. And I also understand about wanting to be honest, authentic, genuine, not-fake on the blog - but it's SO hard, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you that's awesome!! I was nervous to share my blog with my real life friends but now I have heard from several of them that they really enjoy checking in :) It has been really encouraging! This is my first time here by the way and your blog is beautiful! <3 Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so proud of you! This is going to lead to beautiful things for you my friend. I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post made me think of something I read in Jon Acuff's blog, about him finding his self worth in Web traffic: http://www.jonacuff.com/stuffchristianslike/2011/02/works-of-art/

    Thanks for sharing your life on this blog. You inspire me. :)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs