11/15/11

confessions


I pride myself on being a somewhat decent housewife.

Although I work 40-plus hours a week, I cook a pretty good dinner, keep up with cleaning and laundry (occasionally.)

But last night I couldn't do it. I couldn't blog or do anything I was supposed to get done. Instead I collapsed on my bed at 8 p.m. and slept on the mattress cover... no sheets... until 6:30 the next morning.

No sheets.

And it's not like the husband minded, honestly the man wouldn't care if we ever washed the sheets, but I cared. I like sheets and I like a freshly-made bed and I like thinking I have it all together.

And to be honest I like it more when others think I have it all together. Sleeping on a mattress pad definitely announces that you don't have it all together.

And yeah, I haven't mailed out some giveaway items, I'm behind for plans for the holidays (Thanksgiving is next week people!) and this morning I locked my keys in the car.

While I was waiting for AAA to come bail me out I started thinking about why it was necessary for me to appear to have it all together. Everyone is faking it, really. No one can "do it all." Something has to give.

And for me, that something was blogging and apparently my keys.

Thank goodness for AAA. (And where can I get one of those hanger-tools like that?)

xo, erika

p.s. titling this post "confessions" has only made the Usher song of the same title stuck in my head...


7 comments

  1. just getting laundry caught up with is hard for me! you sound like super woman! (and where do we get those hanger things?? idk why they don't sell them to the public!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put the same pressure on myself and then something will happen that makes me realize that other people don't have the same expectations and I'm stressing myself out. but I totally agree about the clean bed. =) I hope you are able to pick up again tomorrow and get going again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing, wanting to appear like I have it all together. In fact, today it's killing me not to have showered this morning because I spent the night in a tent on campus as a staff rep for the Social Justice League's tent city (a homelessness awareness event).
    This week is crazy and I know I won't appear together, no matter how hard I try! So I have to trust God to get me through the many commitments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All we can do is try. Sometimes with epic success and sometimes with epic failures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know!!! i guess pretending to have it all together makes us feel ((on some level)) that we actually DO have it all together. Don't worry, you are not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your honesty! Love your heart! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I.AM.THE.BIGGEST.FAKER.

    No one has it all together....and if they do...then I want nothing to do with them.

    After the nasty awful day...I love thinking back on it and laugh or cry or both.

    I heart you chica.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs