5/24/11

tuesday tutorial: 5 minute salsa

First off a shout-out to my younger brother who turns 22 and who never fails to make me laugh, and, despite being a college guy and not so into the craft-y stuffs, reads my blog.

so proud to be this guy's older sister
Also a big thank you to him for putting up with bossy me growing up. You know that one time we put on a play about the birth of Jesus and you were the donkey or that other time we did a ballet and I forced you to wear a leotard? Sorry about that. 

my brother and i are on the right
And sorry for bringing it up now.


Tuesday's tutorial this week is also a homage to my brother-- growing up we ate a LOT of chips and salsa.

We usually noshed on Safeway salsa medium, (which we both highly reccommend, by the way), but never said no to the homemade bean dip or salsa.

This recipe, is not only delicious, but easy enough for a 22-year-old college guy to make.

Ingredients:

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can diced tomatoes (rinsed and drained) (OR chop up 2 whole tomatoes)
1 can of medium-heat jalapenos (OR chop one jalapeno--remove the seeds if you want it milder)
1 cup of frozen corn (preferably after it's warmed up a bit to room temp)
1 green pepper (OR I supposed you could find this canned...somewhere)
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 tbs cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbs Italian dressing
a handful of cilantro leaves for garnish (and because I fully believe cilantro is good on everything)

Directions:
Using a can opener (or some other device) open your cans. Empty the contents into a colander and rinse several times.

Dump into a bowl.

Chop the green pepper, add it to the bowl. While you're at it, might as well dump that corn in too.

Mix.

Add the apple cider vinegar and Italian dressing.

Mix.

Garnish with cilantro.



Eat with chips. Or, if you prefer, just with a fork.  p.s. this is always the better the next day, as the flavors meld...

but I don't have a whole lot of experience with that because I usually eat this as a meal... in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs