2/4/14

recipe: peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (gluten free)


I've always been someone who operates with the belief that sweets are just going to be bad for you. They have to have two sticks of butter, 12 eggs, and more butter, to be delicious.  When I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner -- that should be healthy-- but if I am going to have dessert, I am going to indulge.

However, I have a friend who has had stomach issues for years, so she was trying out an elimination diet to get to root of it.  But it was her birthday and I desperately wanted to make her something sweet and delicious that would fit her current restrictions, so I made this gluten-free, dairy-free brownies. And despite my initial skepticism, they were delicious (like, go make them now kind of delicious). And, even better, they were easy and didn't have any weird additives. I could make them out of what I had on hand.

So I started thinking... maybe desserts could be slightly healthy...

I started playing around with tweaking some other recipes, and for the Super Bowl this past week, I decided to make peanut butter oatmeal cookies -- but in a similar way to the brownies. And this is what I came up with (and yes, we ate them all in the first quarter.)


I don't know if I could call them healthy but they don't even have one stick of butter in them.

peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (gluten, dairy free)
1 cup peanut butter
5 tbs maple syrup (or honey or brown sugar)
1/4 cup sugar-free, natural applesauce
2 tbs melted coconut oil
1 1/2 cups oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips (or, you could be really healthy and substitute dried fruit or nuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Blend peanut butter, maple syrup, applesauce and coconut oil with a mixer until fully blended.
Mix in applesauce and vanilla extract.

Stir in baking soda, oats, and chocolate chips.

Batter will be relatively thick.

Place on sprayed cooking sheet in spoon-sized drops (I use parchment paper because it means even less clean up!)

Bake for 7 to 9 minutes.

Eat them all.


xo, erika

4 comments

  1. Honestly if I swapped out the chocolate for raisins I wouldn't feel at al bad about keeping these with me at all times to motivate miss Lily Belle ;) They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH stawp it! I love Oatmeal cookies and I love peanut butter cookies! Together just sounds amazing

    Makeover With Aspen

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so yummy! I just might give them a try today since I have the urge to bake on my snow day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is seriously the second recipe in a row that you have posted and I ran to the kitchen to make....and then fell in love with. Girl. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs