2/11/14

chili is for lovers


While some people give cookies or cake or chocolate for Valentine's Day, I honestly think chili is just as good -- or maybe an even better -- option for the one you love. 

And let me get this right out of the way -- this is not a chili for the faint of heart or the vegetarian -- this chili has bacon and steak and beer in it.

But if you make it for someone who loves steak and bacon and beer, you're guaranteed a good response.


the best chili ever
1 walla walla onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
4 pieces of nitrate-free bacon
1 lb steak, diced
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 black pepper
1 can of beer -- preferably a lager
2 cans kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 tbs tomato paste
1 can diced tomato and the juice
2 cans green diced chilis
2 tsp hot sauce (I like tapatio)
1/2 cup water

In a big pot of medium heat, cook bacon.
Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
Pour out half of the bacon grease.
Cook onion and garlic in remaining bacon grease (yes, this is key!)
Meanwhile, rub steak pieces with cumin, paprika and black pepper
Place steak in pot, cook each sides for a minute
Pour can of beer over steak and reduce heat to medium-low.
Cook steak and beer until beer is nearly all evaporated.
Add beans through water and bring to a boil.
Boil for a minute, then reduce heat to low and cook for at least an hour (the longer the better!)

I let the chili simmer nearly all day-- this ensures a really deep flavor.

To serve, crumble bacon on top and serve with other toppings -- cheese, peppers, avocado, and more!


xo, erika

2 comments

  1. LOVE this! -- haha get it?! ;) but really I do love this post & chili! I am thinking I might have to make this for the one I love seeing as he is a beer/bacon/cheese/jalepeno lover. && tapatio! that is my fave, the spicier the better in our house! Happy Love day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm....chili is very good on cold days like this!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs