4/16/14

why i (still) blog


Someone asked me the other day how long I had been blogging and I realized that it's been over four years, much longer than I realized.

Of course I've only been over here at rouge + whimsy for three-ish years. I started blogging at another blog just about the husband and I. Then it transitioned and I changed the name and here I am... still blogging.

I started the blog because back then I had a tough job. I was working weird hours -- 4 p.m. to 2 am. -- I was newly married and I was lonely. I needed something to fill my time while my husband and friends were at work and I was at home in a tiny apartment. So I started the blog. Started sewing. And here I am, today.

Today I have a good day job with "normal" hours and my handmade shop keeps me as busy as ever. But I keep blogging. And the thing is, unlike the other two things, blogging hasn't gotten necessarily better for me. I feel like I used to have a lot more engagement here on this space -- more comments, more interaction. Now I feel like people are more apt to comment or tap a heart on instagram. I mean, I get it -- we're busy and reading blogs and commenting is a lot more effort than scrolling through pretty images on ig.

So why do I blog? With less comments? Less engagement? Truth be told, I do it because I like it. I know this is not how I am going to get famous, how I am going to make money, or get a book deal or anything. But while I was in Uganda and writing there, I was reminded that a big part of me is a writer. I love to write, I love to share -- even if it's only just for me. A bit part of it is processing. I work through things while I type and there's a part of me that hopes some of the words I write help others work through things-- even if it's just working out what to make for dinner or what to wear the next day.

Blog posts still run through my head -- I have yet to run out of things to say. I'm typing this now at 10:30 at night. I turned off my light, put away the computer but lay awake, because this exact blog post (and two others) were rolling around in my head. They needed to be written out. I needed to blog.

Do you blog? If so, why?

no matter your reason, write on.

xo, erika


20 comments

  1. I do it because I can't imagine NOT doing it. I've been with my current blog for almost 7 years. Isn't that nuts? And I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, so much! I remember when we "met" in blog land, comments were many and I read almost every blog I followed each day! But like you, interaction is much higher on Instagram, but I don't have any plans to stop blogging. I love it. I love sharing the document worthy moments of my life, my style, and the occasional post where I write just to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And I currently have more time on my hands, so I've decided to blog almost like I used to. It's been so fun! I feel like I've stepped back in time, I forgot how much I love the interaction in blog land!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. I've been blogging for four years now too (no, wait, five) and I have a dedicated but small group of core readers. Am I blogging for them? Partly, but I'm also blogging because it gives me an outlet and I find it therapeutic to put myself and my thoughts out there in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree...I've been blogging for over 5 years...I noticed engagement has gone way down even though my following has increased...but iLOVE that I can go back in time and read about my life. I'd continue to blog even if no one read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful,
    Thanks for sharing. So very much why I write as well. Because writing is part of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely relate to that feeling of having a post that just needs to be written right then and there. Sometimes I get out of bed and my husband asks where I'm going and I always tell him, "I have something I need to write." And I can't sleep until it's out.

    So glad you're still blogging. We are still here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes...so good! I've been blogging for 4 years and I do it to remember, to pour my guts out, and to encourage. Just started following your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do it simply because I like it. :>

    Christen
    feathers and ash

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said, Erika! I always think about blog posts and never seem to lack things to write about (even though I have less time lately).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree! I really and truly do think that there is some innate need for writers (like me, too!) to write. I'm going to risk sounding sappy, but I never thought in a million years that the blogging community could not only serve as a community but a place for me to be comfortable in my own skin, a place where I can share my passion with others all while finding others who are exactly like me.

    That said, girl, keep on blogging! I may not comment on every post, but I do looove your blog (and bags!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, may I say that I', glad you do continue to blog, because it is from discovering your blog almost a year ago, that made me decide to go for it and create my own space to share my thoughts and findings. The fact that you are always honest, this post is a perfect example of that, and that you share a part of your life is what keeps me and many others reading.
    Also, you are just so darn inspiring. I love hearing about why you started your business and this may sound rather strange but hearing about the occasional struggles or hardships, brings you down to an approachable level and makes me and my little sewing ambitions seem almost achievable. If that makes any sense? I guess what I'm trying to say is please keep blogging for as long as you have the joy for it, and I'll keep reading and maybe I will get the courage to put my crafts online, just as you did : )

    Gemma
    Faded Windmills

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you wrote this, and thank you for sharing Hayley's post too. I'd love a blogger revolution where we go back to having open hearts and open blogs. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this!! I am actually in the process of creating my own interior decorating business and lifestyle blog, and you have been an inspiration for me!! Please keep up all the blogging, my day is always a little brighter when I read your posts.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally resonate with your thought on this matter. I've blogging for over 5 years, and it's become a necessary means of self-expression for me. I've had thoughts of quitting more than once, but over and over again I feel that it's somehow become a part of me I can't part with.

    xo Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. amen! and you are a fantastic writer :). My blog has definitely been quiet the past few months and the content is waning but I love it and it makes me happy to pop in here and there with a post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My blog has taken such a different form since I first started (and even then, it started just as a complement to Etsy). Now it's mostly photos, and mostly wedding photos (i.e. the work I'm doing now) but I try to do personal photo posts and the occasional personal post every now and then. I definitely relate to your life when you started blogging -- it just fit into my life better a couple of years ago, but I still enjoy it and I still ADORE this community! I've met so many great people in the "real world" because we've been able to connect over our blogs, and for that I don't think I could ever completely abandon blogging, and checking in at least once in awhile with my fave bloggers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yep yep yep, just like oyu. i write because i like it. writing is how i process, and i have so many thoughts that need to get out of my head and onto "paper". even if no one else reads it, it's my therapy. keep blogging girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...even in my craziest schedule and how reality seems to be eating me at times,
    i blog because i feel some sort of release, like an outlet, a way to de-stress.
    to be inspired, to share, to write, to say about ...
    despite all these hubbub we call life. ^0^

    ps: randomly stumbled your blog and i;m glad I did.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs