4/10/14

there are good things and great things


I am an ideas person. A big ideas person. As a child, I was full of big ideas and those around me were often forced into being a part of them. My brothers were subject to dress-up and full-on theater productions.

The thing is my ideas are often directionless. I get so excited about so many different things and quite honestly, I feel like I could wear so many different hats. I have ideas about my shop. About my blog. About a book I want to write, about a store I could open. There are so many things out there and sometimes I flounder at picking just one -- or following through on just one thing.

Is this just me? Maybe I am a part of today's generation that goes from job to job-- unable to stay in one place. Directionless, or rather, full of direction, but in every which way.

Once upon a time, someone wise told me -- and I can't remember who it was -- that there are many good things, but there are only a few great things. Pursue the great things, they told me.

I am often caught up in all the good things. All the events I could go to, the places I could volunteer, the ideas I could pursue. These are good things, there's no denying that. But what are the great things? And once I know those great things, how can I say yes to those?

Right now I am not sure what the great things are for me. I know, quite simply, that my faith is a great thing, my family and friends are great things, but other than that-- when I look at my future -- I am not sure what great could be, yet.


xo, erika




7 comments

  1. It is encouraging to know I am not the only one who feels exactly the same way. Thanks for putting words to what I feel so often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I suspect this is typical for creative people. We have no problem coming up with a million (awesome) ideas, and it's hard to let go of most of them. I think you are right on with prioritizing relationships and faith.

    Too bad there's not 48 hours in a day :)
    Thanks for the much needed reminder. I am pinning this now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find I'm in the same boat too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with wanting to pursue all the numerous ideas that pop into my head. sometimes I become so overwhelmed with all that I want to accomplish. your post is a great reminder to stay focused on those "great" things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel ya... I feel like I'm an ideas person too. But I can never seem to stick with what I really want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often feel this way. For the past year and a half or so, I've started a small baking business with my mom that we had hoped we could one day expand into a full-fledged cafe. But, best laid plans...it's become a much different business than the one we set out to build. Goals and dreams change...in fact, this has inspired me to write a post of my own on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i love this. i am with you, i'll be thinking about what that GREAT thing is.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs