3/10/14

first leg of the journey


Seattle to Atlanta: 2,634 miles (with a little sidestep to Denver)
Atlanta to Amsterdam: 4,384 miles
Amsterdam to Entebbe: 3,945 miles

When I got to the Denver airport yesterday, it was just a little two hour flight -- but it really struck me how big the country is -- how big the world is. 

It's so funny how you get used to being in your little area of comfort-- so that even the weather is predictable and comfortable and the sights, sounds and smells of home feel so familiar. 

I went for a run Saturday. I figured it was the last one I'd go on for awhile, and so I relished it-- the cool air, the wispy clouds. It started sprinkling and it felt refreshing. 

At this point I can't imagine how different Uganda will be. I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm okay with that. I don't want to go in with any preconceived notions. It's hard-- I'm actively trying to dismiss any ideas. Instead I'm praying to be open, to be ready to learn.

follow along with our trip on my blog and on our group blog at bloghope.org.

A little side note-- if you aren't up to date on the whole Africa thing: I'm going along with Sole Hope to learn what they do, share their vision and help them grow. They treat foot-borne diseases with medical treatment, and also providing shoes. The shoes are made of recycled U.S. products, constructed by Ugandans who are paid a living wage. You can learn more about the shoemakers here, and see how to host a shoe-cutting party to provide the supplies for the shoes here.






5 comments

  1. So exciting! I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck Erika! Its great you are doing good things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY YAY YAY! SO excited for you and this new adventure… I'm following along on Insta for sure!

    xx
    Here&Now
    Enter my current giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs