3/31/14

finding sabbath

"Slow down. Take a deep breath. What’s the hurry? Why wear yourself out? Just what are you after anyway? But you say, ‘I can’t help it. I’m addicted to alien gods. I can’t quit." Jeremiah 2:25


We were all sitting around, under a cabana, at Nile River Camp on our last full day in Uganda, talking about what awaited us when we returned home. 

I confessed at that time that I wasn't ready to go home. I didn't want to get caught up in the business of life again, running from one thing to another. Uganda's pace was easier. 

Carey looked at me and told me bluntly that it didn't need to be that way. 

"We need rest. It's a sin not to rest," she said emphatically. "What can you give up so you can rest-- so you can create Sabbath?"

The truth in her words was a welcome smack to the face. 

As a Christian, I am called to find rest, to take time to be quiet and still. And I don't think this is a commandment that just applies to those of faith-- it's something that we all could be better at. 

So Sabbath. Rest. Quiet. Stillness. I am going to make it my goal this April-- to really dive into what it means to incorporate a day of Sabbath or even small bits of Sabbath in everyday moments. I am busy -- and I can let that be my rallying cry; my excuse, my rule to live by or I can seek something better for myself, something that God designed for me. 


xo, erika


2 comments

  1. I am loving all your posts about Africa. It really seems like it was such a life changing experience for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs