6/1/14

strawberry-rhubarb mini pies


I have a enormous rhubarb plant in my yard. The thing grows nearly out of control. It sits on the edge of my driveway and I pretty much ignore it. My mother-in-law gave it to me, and I stuck it in its spot just to stick it somewhere.

Now, a few years later, I have rhubarb and then some, and it's always a weekend activity to try and come up with a way to use it.

this weekend's activity: strawberry-rhubarb mini pies,  just because everything, especially pies, are cuter in miniature size!

crust: (makes crust for 12 mini pies)
1 cup flour
3 to 5 tbs. ice water
1/3 C. chilled butter, diced
1 tsp salt (optional)

In large mixing bowl, whisk flour and salt together. Add shortening and mix with pastry blender till it looks like course crumbs. Add ice water a few tablespoons at a time mixing with a fork till dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl and pull into a ball. Place it in a sandwich bags and refrigerate for at least an hour. (You can refrigerate this longer, but it can get tough if you leave it in there overnight.)

Sprinkle your work surface and rolling pin with flour (and have flour on hand.) Roll out 1 bag of dough to about 1/4 of an inch thick slowly and gently. Do not overwork the dough-- it will make it unhappy.


filling:
2 cups diced rhubarb stalks
1 cup strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 tbs flour
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Mix filling ingredients, set aside.

Once the dough is rolled out, use a measuring cup -- I used the "1 cup" size -- to mark circles. Place each circle in a muffin tin, and carefully spoon two heaping spoonfuls into each tin. Be careful not to overfill!



If you have remaining dough, you can cut little strips to do a lattice work over the pie filling.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the tops are golden and the filling is bubbling.

Remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes, but don't wait until too long to remove your little pies-- hardened rhubarb filling can make them hard to remove!



enjoy!

xo, erika



3 comments

  1. These look delicious :) I love rhubarb but I never know what to do with it, so I'll definitely have to give these a go. Talking of rhubarb, I was very happy to find a rhubarb and apple drink in my local shop yesterday...it was absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i love rhubarb pie and it looks especially cute in this mini version :).

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs