6/11/14

what you should be reading this summer


I am an avid reader and while winter is made for curling up with a book under a quilt, summer is made for stretching out with a book on a towel.

I don't know what it is about summer, but I never want to read anything too complicated  -- I want something that sucks me through, that's easy to read -- a true beach read. Here are my suggestions for summer reads for this June.

memoirs: I am a memoir junkie. There's something about reading people's true stories that resonates with me. Here are a few of my faves:

- The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. A heart-wrenching memoir by a journalist that had a less-than-normal upbringing.

- Bossypants by Tina Fey. If you haven't read this laugh-out-loud memoir, do it. Seriously.

- Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall. A story of a relationship between a wealthy man and homeless man that creates beautiful change in both.

- Confessions of a Latter Saint Virgin by Nicole Hardy. I read this without expecting much-- it is fascinating look at Nicole's dealing with her faith, but I walked away from it loving her style of writing. Her skill in telling a story makes me want to write, and that is a gift.

Feel good chicklit: You know what I'm talking about -- the mindless reads that don't involve too much brain power.

- A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff. A girl starts a vintage dress shop in England. Despite its premise of running a dress shop, it's more about relationships than anything. Definitely the best kind of good reads. (I also suggest Wolff's other book, "Behaving Badly.")

- Goodnight June by Sarah Jio. The back story of "Good Night Moon." A quick and easy read and set in Seattle, which makes me love it more. (Jio has a number of good, easy reads-- I suggest any of them.)

- Starstruck by Rachel Shukart. A story about Hollywood in the 1930s. Totally an easy, fun read. The only bummer is that it's first in a series, and only two of the books are out!

Moving reads: Sometimes you need a story that hits you right.there.

- Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford. Gut-wrenching story about an Asian American orphan at the turn of the century. (I also heard this could be turning into a movie-- so read it now!)

- Saving CeeCee Honeycut by Beth Honeycutt. Upbeat story about relationships between family-- especially women in the family, when a young girl loses her mom to mental illness and moves in with her great-aunt.

- Labor Day by Joyce Maynard. I think this a movie-- out now? --  but this was a moving book about a woman and her son who take in an inmate for the weekend.


These are just a few of my suggestions! I also have quite a list of books to read, but I always love hearing more titles. If you're so inclined, share them in the comments. :)

xo, erika

p.s. if you're looking for book suggestions, I recommend Good Reads! You can find me on there.

5 comments

  1. Have you ever read any books by Elin Hilderbrand? They are a perfect beach read! All take place in Nantucket, somewhere I have never been before, which I think is nice-- cause I can create it to be anything I want in my mind. I would start out with "Barefoot" or "the Island" both favorites :) I've read them multiple times; so good you glide right through. Easy, perfect lay on your towel in the grass/sand kind of books. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may check out the chick lit! I've been stuck in YA for awhile and should probably break out a little....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the sane way about reading in the different seasons! I enjoyed Ron Hall's book too and am looking forward to reading the sequel this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loooooved Saving Cece Honeycutt. SO good. I think the one that hit me the hardest was The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you, I needed some new book recs! Songs of Willow Frost sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs