12/2/13

thanksgiving tacos

 
I wish I could be take credit for coming up with this creation, but I heard about it from my friend Leonora who ate it at Renegade Craft Fair in Brooklyn a few weekends ago. I was skeptical until she said: "turkey, cranberry and cilantro." Three really good things. And in a taco. Why not.


You probably have leftovers galore to recreate this dish, but I actually had to make some fresh cranberry sauce. (My recipe is below).

Also, I didn't have corn tacos, so I had to settle for the tortillas, which I realize makes this a Thanksgiving burrito or Thanksgiving wrap, but it doesn't really have the same ring to it as Thanksgiving taco. ;)


Thanksgiving tacos
- shredded turkey meat
- 1 tbs cranberry sauce
- handful of arugula
- couple of sprigs of fresh cilantro
- optional: jalepeno slices, goat cheese


I warmed up a tortilla and topped with the cranberry, argula, cilantro and turkey.  The peppery arugula gives it a nice kick, but I think sliced jalepenos or even some goat cheese would be delish here as well!





cranberry sauce:
I wanted a spicier sauce (as it's acting as the salsa)
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp grated orange zest (orange peel)

Bring sugar and water to boil, stirring constantly. Stir in cranberries and bring back to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until all the cranberries have burst.
Stir in spices and seasoning.
Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature. (it will thicken as it cools)
Refrigerate any leftovers.



Does a Thanksgiving taco sound crazy? Or would you be willing to try it?

xo, erika




4 comments

  1. sounds delicious! how crazy is it that we have no leftover turkey this year!? such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so creative! I love a good taco and cranberry sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I was just thinking about what to do with the leftover turkey :).

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs