Weeks later, however, I realized, that I need to run. It's not because I felt like I was getting lazy or wanted my body to look a certain way, but rather I need to run for my mental state. When I don't run, I am not my best self, to the point that even the husband notices.
Doctors advise at least 20 minutes of cardio activity at a minimum of three times a week. They advise this for your heart and physical body's health, but I would argue that even more so, people need it for mental health. Even the Mayo Clinic recognizes exercise as a healthy way to deal with anxiety and depression.
To be honest there are days when exercising, and running, is the very last thing I want to do. I dread lacing my tennis shoes; I take forever to get myself out the door. But once I'm there, feet pounding the pavement, I feel the tensions of the day release. And I've never regretted working out once I've finished.
I don't know if running is for you. Maybe you like biking or swimming or kick-boxing. But find something that you like -- or even just kind of like-- and stick to it. It takes awhile to get used to exercise -- people say it takes 40 days for a habit to form -- so you're going to hate exercising for awhile and even maybe for a long time. But it's worth it, I really believe so. At the very least, I know it's worth it for me.
xo, erika
It always amazes me how much running is a mental thing. It can be hard to get out the door, but the way I feel afterward is totally worth it and you're right about not regretting it!
ReplyDeleteI want to get back to running or some form of exercise. I think it a reason why I haven't felt myself.
ReplyDeletei'm right there with you! not doing it to look a certain way or to even run a marathon but since i've started running, i've done it to feel good! loved every bit about this post, erika!
ReplyDeleteI really need to get back to running! I always feel so great afterwards!
ReplyDeleteI'm like that about so many things... I dread getting it going, getting started on it, or some of the prep, but then I just LOVE it.
ReplyDeleteChristen
http://christenlouise.blogspot.com
Great article!
ReplyDeleteI most definitely need to get into a routine of exercise. As weird as it sounds, I always feel strange as I start to run until I actually get into it and ALWAYS feel better.
I TOTALLY agree with you! Running is THE BEST. It makes me feel alive, awake, happy, energized... the best! So glad you feel the same way.
ReplyDeleteI feel exactly the same way! Running makes such a marked difference in my overall well being. It's become a part of me even though I'm not serious athlete. There's a romance to it.
ReplyDeleteAmen. I agree with every word! I am waiting for my doctor to clear me for post-baby exercise, and my legs are literally itching. Running is definitely a type of drug! No other exercise affects me so addictively :)
ReplyDeleteIf only I could become addicted to ab exercises...