<><><>
Hi,
everyone! My name is Maria and I blog over at I Believe In Story, where I post musings about all types of
literature. Erika asked me to write a post with a few book
recommendations. I hope these titles will inspire you to start making
your own to-read list for the new year! Tweet me and
let me know what books you plan to read this year.
for the fairytale fan.
1. MIRROR MIRROR by Gregory Maguire
A story that explores the classic tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Maguire's writing is absolutely beautiful. You'll find yourself
reading with a highlighter or a pen nearby, making sure you document all
of the passages that speak directly to you. For example: "We
make of the hollow world a fuller, messier, prettier place, but all our
inventions can't create the one thing we require: to deserve any fond
attention we might accidentally receive, to receive any fond attention
we don't in the course of things deserve."
for the art fan.
2. THE LADY AND THE UNICORN by Tracy Chevalier
A story
based on the background behind six tapestries woven in the late 15th
century. Chevalier has created a fictional story about the people who
were connected to the creation of the tapestry, from the rich man who
commissions the piece to the family who work day and night to finish
weaving before the project's deadline. "Two families, two cities, one
rogue go-between, and a set of gorgeous tapestries."
for the memoir fan.
3. LOOSE END by Ivan E. Coyote
A
collection of short stories that focus on urban life in the city of
Vancouver, British Columbia. Coyote writes about the impact of modern
society on the diverse Canadians that live around her. A storyteller by
trade, Coyote's craft and mastery over words will have you laughing and
crying within a span of two pages. The stories are short and sweet,
commenting on the gender binaries we place upon ourselves and others.
for the classics fan.
4. THE AWAKENING by Kate Chopin
An often ignored American classic, The Awakening is
about Edna Pontellier, a woman who struggles with her personal views
about femininity and motherhood and the views of American society at the
turn-of-the-century. The book focuses on the psychology of Edna and
her literal "awakening" from the expectations that have been placed upon
her.
for the young adult fan.
5. THIS DARK ENDEAVOUR by Kenneth Oppel
Oppel's
YA novel tells the story of Victor Frankenstein's apprenticeship as he
discovers the world of alchemy and does everything possible to save his
brother from death. This book has just the right amount of fantasy to
keep you on the edge of your seat, but the adventure is incredibly
realistic. The main character’s desire for power is something all readers will relate to - even if they don’t want to admit it.
<><><>
Maria is generously offering a rouge & whimsy reader a book of their choice from this list!

I would love to read mirror mirror! :)
ReplyDeleteI have always wanted to read "THE LADY AND THE UNICORN by Tracy Chevalier"
ReplyDeleteThe lady and the unicorn sounds like a book that I would like. Add it to my list of books to read this year!
ReplyDeleteCool giveaway! THE LADY AND THE UNICORN by Tracy Chevalier
ReplyDeleteMirror Mirror sounds like a great read!
ReplyDeleteThe Dark Endeavor and Mirror Mirror sound really interesting. I love reading new takes on old stories.
ReplyDeleteAwesome giveaway!
ReplyDeleteLoose End sounds like the book for me.
Book nerds are the best! I am adding all 5 of these to my reading list this year, so any would do ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking I would like The Awakening the best.
ReplyDeletex Hilary
hilary . l . adams @ gmail .com
I love books! all of them sound good. I'd probably read MIRROR MIRROR by Gregory Maguire first. :-)
ReplyDeleteEither #1 or #2 :)
ReplyDeleteI'd choose Mirror Mirror. Thanks for a chance!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great list! I have (and loved) Mirror, Mirror, This Dark Endeavor, and Awakening. :)
ReplyDeleteI would love to check out The Lady and The Unicorn, though. I hear Tracy Chevalier is a great author.
I would choose Mirror, Mirror; I love fairytales!
ReplyDeleteMirror mirror! but I would check out the others too
ReplyDeleteMirror Mirror, I love Gregory Maguire's novels!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool giveaway. I'd be interested in reading "The Awakening." Sounds intriguing.
ReplyDeleteThe Awakening, by Kate Chopin sounds like a good read.
ReplyDeleteThe Awakening, by Kate Chopin sounds like a good read.
ReplyDeleteThe Awakening, by Kate Chopin sounds like a good read.
ReplyDelete