6/23/13

half marathon

 

When my alarm went off at 4:45 a.m. on Saturday morning I kind of wondered what I was doing.

Standing in a pack of thousands, waiting for the start, I wondered again.

And at mile 11, I really wondered what made me think I could ever run a half marathon.

But on the other side of it, completely stiff and sore -- you should see me hobble downstairs -- I am absolutely astounded and amazed that I ran 13.1 miles at 7 a.m on a Saturday.

If you would have asked me a year ago if I thought I would have ever run a half marathon, I might have laughed. Why run that far and for that long?

I can answer that now.

Training and completing a half marathon has give me a small high on achieving goals -- I feel like there a lot of things that I can accomplish, if I really train and prep for it.

Running is also partially therapy for me. I don't run with music but just let my thoughts go with my feet, and that time now feels necessary. And I have to say honestly that the days that I run are often so much better -- there's something to be said for runner's highs!

The half-marathon was also fun. It was a perfect, sunny day with crowds lining the streets and bands playing every mile. I ran along an interstate, through a park lined by million dollar homes and on a major highway that crests up through skyscrapers, giving views of the moutains, Sound and cityscape.

And when I finished, I ate a huge stack of buckwheat-wholewheat huckleberry pancakes covered with wild blueberries, raspberries, fresh whipped cream and honey syrup and felt so good about every bite.

The crazy thing is that I think I'm going to run another. Portland, see you in October for the next 13.1.

xo, erika

linking up to Blair for life lately!


12 comments

  1. congrats! that sounds like an insane run!
    kw ladies in navy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad it went well. Half marathons are so fun! Although I don't know if I'll ever do a full! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you! Glad your ankle held up and you finished ;) and I'm totally impressed you're already planning on another one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!! I'm still totally freaked out by my 15K trail run in October. Of course, I'm training for it--some days are awesome and some days make me feel like I'm making too little progress. The heat and humidity aren't helping either. Boo summer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! Congratulations Erika!! I'm so proud of you!!! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww you go girl!!! soo proud of ya!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Good for you, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing, girl! I only run 2 miles, 3 times a week, and it is exhausting in the midst of it (though I'm sure nothing like a half marathon ;), but I feel so good afterwards.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. way to go girl!! I was thinking about you saturday! I ran my first half marathon a few years ago and I want to do another one. It was such a good feeling to know I had accomplished something I never thought I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is inspiring!! Good for you, that is an amazing feat! And hey, I'll be living in Portland by then! :o

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! I want to do this so badly someday. By the way, was this for the Solstice celebration in Fremont? Because I was having coffee at Milstead at that time and waved at the runners on my way there :)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs