It's not like we're extravagant spenders, but with several weddings, summer activities and whatnot, it adds up.
So we're cutting back on frivolous purchases, coffee dates and happy hours.
Luckily I grew up in a thrifty family. My grandmother went dumpster diving and gifted
Thanks to them, I have a few
- the library. I get my magazines here. Real Simple a month later? No big deal-- most magazines publish a month ahead anyway
- plastic sandwich bags-- I wash 'em and reuse 'em. Especially the big ol' Ziploc ones. (This drives the husband a bit crazy)
- dish/hand soap. It's usually pretty concentrated so I add water to it. (And yes, my dishes are still clean)
- hang-dry clothes. Inside or outside-- it can save a lot of money.
- wash clothes on cold. Unless it's undies, socks or something pretty nasty, most clothing can be washed on cold and most detergents work well in cold water.
- unplug everything! well except the fridge but your toaster, coffee maker, etc sucks power even when it's off.
What do you do to save money?
I'd love to hear about it!