8/2/11

the challenge

The husband and I each have a laptop.

We each have an iPhone.

This is not to boast in the technology we own, but to merely point out the plenty of opportunities we have to read email, check Facebook, scan Twitter, skim a blog or surf the Internet

instead of talking to each other, listening to each other, holding hands and just being together.

The challenge we've started for the next two weeks: no screen time while the other is home.




While there are certain exceptions (looking up a recipe online) the idea is to spend the time with each other, rather than online.

It started Monday and I hate to say it, but it's already hard. But I know it's worth it. All relationships-- marriage, friendship, family-- require work and devotion and time to make them flourish.

And I'm telling you guys this now because blogging may be a little sporadic as I date my husband and enjoy the sunshine and summer Seattle is finally getting.


Have you ever taken a break from technology or something else that got in the way of an important relationship?

9 comments

  1. Great post! I need to work on that with my husband. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be hard for the hubs & I, too. We are both very "plugged in."

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this! thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think being plugged *off* has been really weird for me and hubs - we're not investing in the internet anymore...hard to explain, but just weird

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know that can be hard. my hubbie swam with his iphone in his pocket, for an hour, so during our lake vacay he didn't have his phone. i felt bad for him but was secretly glad to have his undivided attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I'm reaching a point where I need to unplug for a bit. I'm getting a little obsessive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've vacationed a few summers for 3 days in a house that didn't have internet, and I always feel so much more connected with my children. I have also done tech-free until their bedtime, or disconnect sundays. It's temptation all day, but beneficial, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. good for you... I'm not sure I could do it.. but I don't spend near as much time online as i used to.. so i am making progress! xo hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. impressive that you both are willing to take it on! i know what you mean about being distracted...sometimes i want to chuck a phone across the room...not really, but maybe! can't wait to hear more! i wish you the best :)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs